We understand that the home is the place where children receive the first proclamation of the faith, (CCC #1666). So we, in conjunction with the family, provide a comprehensive formational program that includes the catechetical tasks of sharing the message, community-building, worship experiences and service opportunities.
The education program that we are using is the "Faith First" Legacy Edition from RCL. Its goal is to transform children and bring them to a deeper relationship with God through an exposition of their Catholic heritage, its beliefs, moral code, rituals and practices, and life of prayer.
Our families and catechist also have unlimited access to, www.faithfirst.com, which provides an entire sections devoted to parents, their children and resources for the catechist. This interactive web site has a variety of opportunities to expand learning for people of all ages, and includes engaging activities, prayers and informational articles. We encourage you to check it out.
Our Religious Education Program runs from September to May, which includes sacramental preparation for First Communion ( second grade) and Confirmation. Our Confirmation program begins in seventh grade and is completed at the end of eighth grade.
Our Catechists are expected be a constant example of the love of Christ to our community and to our students. They are given opportunities to form themselves in Catholic beliefs, traditions, and values, in order to model and to foster a mature faith that is living, conscious, and active.
Starting for the 2012-2013 school year, CATECHIST CERTIFICATIONS will consist of:
- 12 Truths Course – This course will be an overview of the 12 truths of the Catholic faith as established by the Diocese of Kalamazoo. This is an overview of the Kerygma. It will be taught at the yearly Conference and will be made available throughout the diocese.
- Methodology Courses – These courses may be done through the My Catholic Faith Delivered website, or based on similar sessions available through the parish or diocese. (Those with teaching certificates will not need to take methodology courses.)
- Theology Courses – There are 36 courses available at My Catholic Faith Delivered that are to be taken in order to be certified. Classes taken at other locations that are equivalent in nature may be substituted. (If someone has a Theology Degree they may contact the Diocese to determine if they meet the needs for certification.)
- Each year the catechist must complete 5 hours of content rich sessions.
- There will be a list of approved classes on the Diocesan website. Any material on My Catholic Faith Delivered can count toward these hours.
The Diocese of Kalamazoo has partnered with My Catholic Faith Delivered to provide courses for Catechist Certification. Please contact Janice Gray for more information.
If you are a member of our parish and feel that you may be called to be part of our teaching ministry for our children give the Parish Office a call and ask for Kathy Williams, Director of Faith Formation.