St. Philip reads book group is different from many traditional book groups and that whatever book we are reading there is an intentional turning of our thoughts to the movement of the Holy Spirit. Based on the practice of Lectio Divina, we are encouraged to begin our reading with prayer. We pray for God’s guidance as you read the selection.
When reading the assigned section of the book, one should focus on where the text strengthens, challenges, or enlightens faith, or causes you to pause and wonder? Do you notice anything that catches your attention or that speaks particularly to your soul?
Consideration is then given to how holy Scripture might inform the reading. During book group meetings we discuss the movement we have felt in relation to the book.
The next St. Philip Reads selection is yet to be announced.
Some of the previous books read include:
- The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Gathering Blue, The Messenger by Lois Lowry
- Son by Lois Lowry
- Jacob, Have I Loved, by Katherine Paterson
- The Interior Castle, by St. Teresa of Avila
- Pay it Forward, by Catherine Ryan Hyde
- The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein
- Thrift Store Saints, by Jane Knuth
- The Shack, by William P. Young
Books can be obtained at Willard library, online, or at your favorite bookseller.